Thursday, November 16, 2006

Waldo Jaquith: On the decline of Virginia political blogging.

Dead on:
These days most Virginia political blogs make virtually no effort to persuade anybody to change their minds. A blogger will state his opinion, make no attempt to explain it, and insult those who disagree with them. Telling me I’m stupid does nothing to endear me to your cause. It is not persuasive, so it can have no impact on the political process. It reveals nothing about the blogger — at least, nothing flattering. No attempt is made to educate, so no new facts are gathered by the reader. If anything useful results from this process, I cannot understand what it is.

The result of this is that people take to reading only those blogs that espouse opinions that they already hold, because reading others is such an unpleasant experience. Such bloggers set the tone for the discussions, too, such that rational discourse is impossible. And thus begins the ghettoization of ideological positions and with it the end of the enormous value that once made Virginia political blogs so noteworthy.

I’m grateful that Norm has not bent to these particular winds of change, and continues to write interesting and persuasive blog entries, especially those that challenge my own beliefs, such as today’s piece. He’s one of very few.
I worry about this as well... the blogosphere almost seemed to bring back the days of old where Democrats and Republicans could sit at the Commonwealth Club and discuss issues rather than wage war in the press.

Personally, I think we're closer to that day than before. Still, there are a handful that would tabloid themselves into popularity...

7 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Shaun Kenney said...
"Here's what I think, and here are my reasons for doing so."

That's what's missing.

The other half is Cass Sunstein's "The Daily Me" that she writes about in Republic.com (the book). I'll only read the blogs I agree with, the news I agree with, watch the cable TV I agree with, etc.

I don't mind the first half so much. I seriously mind the second half.

 

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Jason Kenney said...
Damn it, Shaun, you stole my "Republic.com" reference!

 

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Shaun Kenney said...
I seem to be one of the few people who reads the WaPo specifically because I know it slants left, but not ridiculously so.

I also read more Democratic blogs than I read conservative ones, peppered with libertarian-leaning ones like QandO and OMT.

Just got done reading Obama's new book too.

The good news is that events such as the Sorenson Institute's Blog Summit do a lot to bring folks together. It's much easier to attack another person when all they amount to is a webpage and a handful of words. Harder to attack a husband, wife, dad, mom, drinking buddy, etc.

 

At 7:16 PM, Blogger Insider said...
Ugh....not lefty Sorensen again.

 

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Charles said...
Well, I stopped reading and posting at NLS because it was clear he was just spouting what he was told, and whenever I tried to actually DISCUSS something three or four regulars would all call me names, and when I asked Ben to do nothing more than post that he appreciated my trying to have a discussion and thought his regulars should do the same, he essentially said he had no control over his own blog.

 

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Karen Duncan said...
This has been a great post and discussion. Thanks Waldo and Shaun.

As a liberal, I also read and appreciate conservative bloggers. Without them I probably would have far less to write about because, after a while, it's got to get boring even for the writer to just post "me too, me too."

Much more fun to have a spirited but hopefully civil disagreement with a worthy opponent than to simply mirror others with your own point of view.

And you're all also right that it's disappointing to read an opinion with no fact-based reason behind it to persuade rather than pontificate.

Thanks again for the spot on post.

 

At 11:51 AM, Blogger JMUDuke said...
Sorensen is by no means a left-leaning organization. I think they are one of the last bastions of civilized discourse in this Commonwealth, or the country for that matter. Insider criticized them on my blog as well. I'd be interested to hear the nature of that vitriole, as IMO it's absolutely unfounded. They do good work there, and if you need proof look at the bloggers who are Sorensen alumni, they are some of the most reasonable voices in the sphere.

 

Post a Comment

Home

 

RedStormPAC

$

JEFFERSONIAD POLL: Whom do you support for Virginia Attorney General?

1) John Brownlee
2) Ken Cuccinelli

View Results

About

ShaunKenney.com is one of Virginia's oldest political blogs, focusing on the role of religion and politics in public life. Shaun Kenney, 30, lives in Fluvanna County, Virginia.

Contact

E-mail
RSS/Atom Feed

The Jeffersoniad

 

 


Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites Powered by Blogger


Archives


March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009